Thread: Why Vote?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
OK, whpalmer4, joshing aside, I doubt it would take Ken more than an hour to add password-on-launch to the code. It just seems such an easy win for Omni, add a feature that some users have requested and most might need on occasion.
Really seems like security theater to me. It doesn't protect your data from accidental deletion. Without encryption, it doesn't stop anyone from stealing your database and having a look at their leisure, so it does very little to protect you if the device is lost or stolen, or even handled out of your immediate presence. That's even less security than my suggestion of not having it on one of the screens, which at least protects against accidentally deleting the app, and someone who wants to snoop without a computer would have to know or guess that you had the app installed. You don't need passwords with people you trust (asking them to not look at your personal stuff should be sufficient), so that leaves nosy people you don't trust but are nonetheless willing to lend your iPad. If your life is full of such people, I can see how a password might be attractive, as they'll be forced to read your email, snoop in your Dropbox account, read your text messages, etc. instead of looking at your to do list, but maybe you should be finding new friends instead! I'm truly sorry if that last category also covers your family members :-)