View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
The issue is that everybody wants their own "one additional feature". The forums have been rife with such requests this week. Among them, tagging, priorities, multiple flags, and multiple contexts. The choices about what features to add need to be driven by some overall philosophy. So the question is, does some sort of time visualization change the basic character of the application?

Personally, I don't think so. But if I was betting, I would bet that graphical visualization of timelines remains an OmniPlan feature. There's a reason OmniPlan costs about twice what OmniFocus is planned to cost.

I've been pondering a script that uses OmniGraffle to generate time visualizations from OmniPlan data. Would something like that meet your need?
OmniFocus data, I guess you mean. I’d wondered about the same re OmniGraffle. The problem is that such a vizualization would need to be dynamic, changing as the OF data does, and vice versa when it is tweaked itself, which would be hard to achieve in another app unless it was integrated. Omni’s reported plans to integrate OF and OP would presumably achieve this, but wouldn’t get over the overkill/expense problem. Unless of course they created some form of OP Lite, which would provide low-level time visualization without the multi-user, complex-flow extras.

I’m glad you agree with me that adding this view wouldn’t fundamentally change the nature of the app, and my guess is there are a lot of users out there who feel the same. But you’re right, the signs are it’s all pie in the sky as far Omni’s thinking goes. But, then again, suggesting features and discussing them is part of what the forum is all about. And while some people clearly do seem to confuse OF with OP, or Merlin, or even DEVONthink, it’s hard to see how some at least of these suggestions (this one, multiple contexts, variable labels) would change the philosophy of the app, unless you hold to a really rigid, dogmatic view of GTD - which the Omni site and Ethan’s video are at pains to say they don’t. But, then, it’s all a matter of opinion... Over to Omni...