View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
It seems to me that if you need to wait for a return call, then there's something else you need to do once you get that call. Hence there are several, if not numerous, steps that you have to go through to follow through the original call. These are actions that make up a project.

Okay, do the following:

project: Organize the meeting
actions (sequential):
...make call, leave message if needed.
...wait for return call.
...follow through with the call (do whatever needs to be done).

You might place a start date for the first action, if you don't want to do it right away.

Once you make the call, check it off, and the next action (wait) appears in your context view. When the call comes in, check it off, and the third action now appears in context view.

Pierre, with all due respect, look at your own signature: "Simplify, simplify, simplify."

For a task as simple as "Call Steve to discuss [whatever]," I don't want to have to make a list of 3 and 4 tasks. There's nothing simple, simple, simple about that. If that's how you want to approach it, great! To each his own. But to me, that's preposterous. I want to list one task: "Call Steve to discuss [whatever], and when I've placed the call, if I'm waiting for him to call back, I want a simple -- single-click -- method of indicating that I took the first step. I don't need to write down, "Wait for return call." It's already obvious! This, to me, is the weakness of the GTD system: there's so much "planning to do" that there's little time left to do.

Don't get me wrong: I "get" the whole David Allen thing. I've read the book -- twice -- and I get it. But I don't agree with all of it. Some of it is brilliant, and some of it is not. I'm sure the system works well for many people -- lots of people *need* structure like that. I do in some aspects of my life, and in others, I don't. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to have to write down every single action for something as basic as a phone call.

I need a simple, simple, simple way of indicating that a task is "in progress." I'm sorry, but I simply refuse to create 3 or 4 tasks for that. Hence, I'm requesting this functionality as an *option*.

I really like the direction of OF, and ultimately the OmniFolk will decide what they want to include. If their goal is the ultimate GTD (and GTD-only) app, these limitations will work well, and I'm sure they'll sell copies. But if there is no flexibility in areas like this, users who do not wish to be puritanical about GTD will seek other options. I own a business, so I understand that. That's the nature of business! I'd like for OF to accommodate the needs of users like myself, but if ultimately they don't, that's their choice, and eventually we'll each eventually find the tool that works best for us. :-)