View Single Post
It's hard to provide an answer to that question, Christian - not everyone at Omni went to WWDC this year, and those that did go are under a non-disclosure agreement. I'm not one of the folks that went to WWDC; I have no idea what Apple may be planning. If I was in their shoes, though, I'm honestly not sure what I would do.

If I can make computers easier to use and less scary for millions of people out there, is it worth taking away a feature used by a very small fraction of those people to author tools used by a larger (but not large in an absolute sense) fraction?

On the one hand, I want Rob to be able to write the awesome scripts that he writes; on the other hand, I want Apple to achieve tons of success and popularity without enabling the kind of spam-generating-botnet nightmares that occur on other platforms.

I also know that no matter how much of a warning label you put on a security risk, some folks will do the risky thing without knowing what it really means.

From my observations, when faced with a conflict between what's good for power users and what's easy for most folks to use and understand, Apple chooses in favor of the latter. Sometimes I like what that means (popular software platforms where average people aren't terrified that new software will destroy their device) and sometimes I don't (when tools I like a lot stop working together - OmniWeb and 1Password under Lion, for example).

Personally, I hope that Apple finds a way to let smart users get what they need from their tools without letting bad things happen to regular folks. I have no idea if that solution will be based on AppleScript or not - that comes a distant third behind "let everyone have access to computing" and "let smart people do really awesome things".