View Single Post
Folks,

Sometimes I need to put a project "on hold" because something about it can't be done just yet. I don't want it to show in my "Active" projects list, but I do want it to come back to my attention at some point in the future.

To take a trivial example, let's say I have a project called "Buy OmniFocus". It's an active project in the (GTD) sense that it's something I've committed to on some level, but I'm "waiting on" it to be completed, priced, released, etc.

In my long (long, long) list of projects, I don't want to see "Buy OmniFocus" every time I'm looking at that list. It just reminds me that I can't do anything about it right now, and disturbs my attempts at "mind like water".

What would be extremely useful would be a way of marking a project as being "on hold", with a date at which it would again reappear as an "active" project.

This doesn't seem to require much more than what we already have in OmniFocus:

* We can mark a project as "On Hold"

* We can give a project a "Next Review" date

* We can give a project a "Start" date

All we need then is functionality to automatically hide and unhide a project based on these criteria if it's marked with a "hide until next review date" or "hide until project start date" checkbox.

I know that I'm to plan in projects and act in contexts. This is an attempt to make planning easier, by hiding projects I know I can't do anything with, without having to manually put a project "on hold" and then review it manually. This is especially true if I review my "oh hold" projects weekly, and some of them don't need to be reviewed more than, say, quarterly.

Thoughts?