View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fustbariclation View Post
I'm interested to understand more about the differences between Omnioutliner and Scrivener. I've got the former, but not the latter. I see that you can import and export between them. Where would you see their strengths and weaknesses? Why would you use one rather than the other?
I've tried Scrivener briefly, as I said it's not a direct competitor to OO, it's really designed to organize a single writing project that is split up into a number of sections. To the extent it could be used more for general note-taking (which is how I use OO), I'm not really sure yet.

But what I'm particularly interested in is its ability to use and create metadata for each entry, attaching keywords (basically tags), assigning values to other categories ("label" and "status"), modification dates (although I'm not sure if you can use these dates for sorting), etc. Such metadata allows you to organize your entries in ways that are not possible in OO. Of course this is not unique to Scrivener and most organizer apps have moved in this direction in some way.

In short, please give us tags and smart folders!

Last edited by FredH; 2007-12-24 at 08:28 AM..