Thread: .Mac Sync
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkoffel
Basically, on launch, have OF check for a version on .Mac that's newer than the current local DB, and offer to download it and replace the current with it. It'd mean you could only run on one Mac at a time, you'd probably have to quit the app when you went to another machine, and there'd be a delay in sending up and retrieving the DB.
Chronosync

Not exactly the poor man's solution as it is commercial software, but it would be able to do just about what you describe (maybe even better if you set up the triggers right).

As far as .mac syncing is concerned, I'd question how strong the demand for that really is. Seriously, who pays for .mac? It's a complete ripoff. Aren't .mac subscription numbers plummeting right now anyway (last I heard)?

This sounds like a 2.0 feature to me, and then only a "2.0 if we have the time to schedule it around working on actually useful features".

I for one think that the built-in Ruby on Rails server used for the iPhone web app interface has more promise for multi-machine syncing. I'd much rather use something Omni cooked up themselves in Rails than anything related to Apple's wholly disappointing syncing services (it's a fantastic idea, the sync services tools, but the execution of that idea is half-done at best).

Last edited by MEP; 2007-07-26 at 12:40 PM..