Thread: Inbox use
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
But since applications are sandboxed on the phone, there's not really a way to share data between applications. There are things we could do such as write an Inbox application that shoved its changes out to a WebDAV server, and then OmniFocus would look for those changes on launch, but that's a lot of effort for implementation and maintenance (and additional user configuration that is relatively prone to error, based on the support email we've been getting) for a user experience that is unlikely to be very satisfactory.
I was thinking syncing out to the webDav server... well... iDisk server, I'm not using a webDav.

Since only one application can be running at a time on the iPhone, you wouldn't have any syncing conflicts between the OF inbox app & the OF iPhone app.

There could be a lag. But all the inbox app is doing is writing a text item into a new task. No project, category or any of the other support for the inbox app. Just task name. Like throwing a piece of paper into an inbox. The inbox app doesn't have to load the entire omnifocus application, just send a new task to the inbox. (course, I'm not sure if this could work with the OF app. For example, the quick entry app on the desktop doesn't work unless the OF document is open.)

I guess I'm thinking of opening a file and just writing to it... no reading. Just write a record at the end of the database. Not sure if it can be done with OF. It can be done with a text file... as long as you know the end line. And in SQL you can write a record to the end of the table without reading the entire table.

Maybe it would need an inbox file that gets written to. The OF file isn't being accessed. Then when the OF file is opened, it looks to the inbox file to see if there are any items that need to be appended... or synced into the OF file.

Audio would be a bit more problematic as far as speed.

If a user closes out of the inbox app before an item is synced... then it stays in the inbox app and a number appears on the icon to let the user know there are items pending to be synced in the inbox. A user opens the OF iPhone app, and the OF app checks for new items and syncs just as it does now.

Just brainstorming here... not sure if any of this could work. :)