View Single Post
I would probably divide this stuff into projects that will reach completion, and other projects that are designed, with repeating tasks, in a way that acknowledges that they will never reach completion.

So, as an example:

Folder: Website

Project: Complete initial website launch.
Action: Get server admin name.
Action: Contact server admin re site and space.
Action: Create and complete a project to make the final decision re static versus dynamic website.
Action: Write more next actions for complete initial website launch.

Project: Make final decision re static versus dynamic website
Action: Privately brainstorm advantages of static or dynamic sites for one hour or until out of ideas, whichever is shorter.
Action: Book meeting with Colleague.

Project: Form a plan for ensuring bi-monthly updates of website.
Action: Write a call for content-author volunteers to email to members of department.

Project: Ensure that website is maintained in a timely manner
Action: (Repeating, monthly) Confirm that backups are running correctly.
Action: (Repeating, yearly) Create and complete a project to evaluate web site technology - confirm that software is not out of date, etc.

Folder: Social Life

Project: Establish birthday database.
Action: Establish a file for recording birthdays.
Action: (Repeating, weekly) Gather and record birthday dates for three people in my circle. When I'm out of people, close this project.

Project: Improve home entertaining infrastructure
Action: Buy or beg place settings for at least six guests.
Action: Buy a coffeemaker and learn to use it.
Action: Call Karen to discuss entertaining tips.

Project: Keep in touch with friends.
Action: (Repeating, weekly) Invite one friend to a social occasion.
Action: (Repeating, monthly) Call Joe.

Folder: Church

Project: Get Church Powerpoints done in a timely manner.
Next action: (Repeating, weekly, start date on Mondays) Call pastor re content for Powerpoints this week.
Next action: (Repeating, weekly, start date on Tuesdays) Complete first draft of this week's Powerpoints.

You may notice that there are what I call "meta" tasks here - I have next actions ordering me to create projects or even ordering me to create next actions for the same project. This works for me, although I'm open to arguments as to why it's a bad idea.

Well, actually, I know why I shouldn't need a next action telling me to write more next actions for the same project - I should either create the next next action when I complete the last one, or at the least I should be reviewing that project weekly and so I should know that it's idle. But I still like to have the project jump forward and present iteself.

Gardener