View Single Post
AJR,

I purchased the PDF after getting the free sample (http://usingomnifocus.com/download-preview/) and canvassing a few people on Twitter who had also purchased it.

I am happy I got it. I have found value in it after reading half way through its 500+ pages.

What makes this unique and a complement to the Users Manual is the fact that the author, Kourosh, takes real-world examples and walks you through them step-by-step. I think this is impressive and aids learning.

I consider myself near-black belt with GTD and have a very reliable work-flow with OF. After reading to the half way point, I not only picked up some new-to-me shortcuts and tips, but I also picked up some new ways of considering entering my actions and ordering my setup. I took the opportunity with these fresh insights to implement them right away into my system (one was cosmetic: changing my fonts to a more enjoyable-to-me appearance; another: to order my routine maintenance (recurring reminders) in their own folder by week, month, quarter, semi-annual and annual; among some others).

I am paused on the chapter on Perspectives at this point. I can tell having briefly skimmed ahead, I am going to get a lot out of this section, practically and philosophically. I will need to block off some more quality quiet time so I can dig into this.

I want to assume that you have read (or at least know about) Kourosh's other GTD work on his blog. He has a five part series (that starts here: http://kouroshdini.com/2009/04/23/ho...advanced-user/) on Advanced OF topics. There is also a seven part series he has done on GTD with OF and the Pomodoro technique.

I read both of these series when he was writing them... these are indicative of his writing style and in-depth content in the "Creating Flow with OmniFocus" PDF; except, I think he upped his game in the PDF :-).

In closing, I will suggest that the best "deliverable (as it were)" is the fact that Kourosh is a trained psychiatrist. Though he doesn't (in what I've read so far) pump this fact a whole lot, you can tell in his presentation that this is a contributing factor to his approach and style. I like it. It adds credibility and authority to his methodology, presentation, and teaching. It's also refreshing to have a different perspective like this on productivity and organization.

He has a host of other talents (musician and tech geek) that also make this PDF interesting. He describes projects along the lines of these other talents that make understanding real-world use of OF a good perspective to compare with my own usage.

Well, I realize now that I have given a pretty in-depth review of half a PDF when I only was looking to give you a few quick sentences, ha!

Let me close with another interesting point of the PDF, it is a delight to read because the layout is very clean and user-friendly. I really like PDFs that make use of white-space and graphics. This PDF has been well edited. I have only found two or three very minor typos in 250 pages. That speaks to me of the planning and careful attention to detail that went into the production of this work.

So, having been a tad skeptical at first, I am happy to endorse this work as a worthwhile read (so far). I am looking forward to more thought provoking time with it and more things that I can bring to my own workflow with OmniFocus.

Hope this gives you a little more insight into Kourosh's work. I'd be happy to speak to you more about it directly if you like.

Lee