View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitamakan View Post
Logic Pro, for example, used to be a $1000 program, IIRC. The price of entry for Omni's apps hasn't been correspondingly reduced, at least on OS X ...
We continue to offer upgrade discounts on OS X, unlike Apple, and the bulk of our customers are eligible for them (since most of our sales happen on our own online store, not the Mac App Store) so our Mac prices have remained steady.

However, we have definitely taken this into account when pricing our iOS apps. When we originally introduced OmniFocus for iPhone, we surveyed the landscape of similar apps and found that most serious apps on the space cost $60-$80—so we came in at $20, an incredible deal. When we introduced our iPad apps, we discounted 50% for reduced functionality from the desktop, and another 50% because we were unable to preserve investments by offering upgrade discounts.

The problem with that strategy has been that lowering our prices doesn't actually help all our customers feel like their investments are preserved: it widens our audience to include people who don't think the app is worth the higher price we would have charged, and who now want upgrade pricing based on the lower price. I think Apple has found this to be the case with their Pro apps as well: yes, their $999 apps are now available for $199, but people who bought at $199 still expect an upgrade discount when the next version comes along.

Quote:
The other issue is that from what I've seen and read, this really doesn't seem to be a "major" upgrade, at all.
It may not be a major upgrade from your perspective, but it certainly is a major upgrade in terms of usability and performance and providing a modern architecture for future work.

Now, I recognize that that may not be enough for people who already have OmniFocus 1. After all, we put a lot of work into OmniFocus 1 over its five year run, adding perspectives, maps, time and place alerts, Siri, Forecast, and more—it was and is a very mature product.

So if the improvements in version 2 aren't worth $20 to you, then there's no need to buy version 2 right now! We continue to support customers who are using OmniFocus 1, even on iOS 7, and it will be our job to continue to make version 2 better and better until (hopefully!) there's enough value there to make it worthwhile for everyone to upgrade.