View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek View Post
Don't overcomplicate your contexts … I have just one. "Errands"
I think that's almost the same as "@Trip Home" except that @Errands applies to any time I leave the house. "@Trip Home" for me is for stuff that I have to get done on tonight's trip home, which I wouldn't necessarily be able to (or want to) schedule. Adding a new item might mean shuffling around other things in my calendar. That's fiddling that I don't really need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek View Post
but to be honest, the act of looking at my calendar is a good think.
For me, "look at the calendar" time is when I get home and have the daily review time which includes "synchronising calendars" with the other half. We review tomorrow's/next week's calendar together and remind each other of so-and-so's birthday, that party I got an invite for today, etc.

Using the map to generate a list of things to do on the way home hasn't worked so well for me because I have other things on the map relating to e.g.: meetings I'm attending tonight/tomorrow which I need to prepare for, but that happens once I get home. The meeting context has a location since the meetings are held at e.g.: the scout hall, or the community garden.

A typical @Community Garden action might be "purple kale seeds for Sean". I can't do that on the way home, but the action is there as a pin on the map when I view the map. Perhaps I could get cleverer with due dates etc, but then I'd have to add two tasks: "@Home: pack purple kale seeds for meeting" with a due date before the meeting, and "@Community Garden: give purple kale seeds to Sean" with a start time the same as the meeting. For the moment, I have the list of all actions due soon/overdue to work with, and that list is manageable.

The @Trip Home context means I have less thinking to do at the time I'm least interested in thinking about what to do. It's on the list, go do it, robot mode. @Trip Home would be an ideal candidate for location-based reminders i.e.: when I leave this location, prompt me to look at the Trip Home context if there are any available actions in it.

Thank you to all the responders so far. You have all given me something to think about :)