View Single Post
After a bit of playing around with this, I think the model is a bit odd, and in some cases, rather less functional than the "armada of parallel repeats" tactic.

Let's say I want to do something every night where my kid needs to go to school in the morning. I think most newcomers who haven't had to make do with the "armada of parallel repeats" approach in the past are going to say "this is a task which repeats every day, just skip Friday and Saturday". Okay, but if you set a daily repeat, you don't get those day of the week boxes active. "No, you need to think of this as a bunch of weekly repeats on selected days" says the support ninja in a soothing voice. New user starts muttering under his breath about confusing user interfaces...

Next, the poor sod decides to have a look at the Due perspective to see what is coming up in the next week. Whoa, where'd all those daily tasks go? You've got to think of it as a bunch of parallel repeating actions when you are setting it up, but without the benefit of actually seeing them, when planning! Hard to believe this isn't going to generate some support tickets.

Here's another trap for the unwary: let's say you've set up an action that repeats every Monday and Wednesday, but only needs to happen if you go to work that day. It isn't something that needs to be done the next day if you didn't do it on the originally scheduled day. Our intrepid hero is enjoying his new iPad with OmniFocus Saturday morning in mid-February, glancing over his schedule for the next week, when he realizes that he doesn't have to go to work on Monday because of the Federal holiday. He opens up Monday's bin of actions in Forecast view, sees the repeating action, and decides to defer it for a week by tapping the +1 week buttons for start and due dates. Great! Come Monday, he won't be bothered by reminders to do things he cannot do. Too bad he's a forgetful sort, and actually needs the reminder to do that important task on Wednesday — he's not going to get it this week!

I'm sure it seemed like a great programming convenience to implement this feature in the way that it is, but the PX came at a cost to the UX! It would certainly be more work to implement the same UI, but have it executed by the armada of parallel repeating actions. The users who are led astray might think it was worth it...