Thread: Hitting Return
View Single Post
I can see the benefit of Return committing a title edit and creating a new task.

But why is this behavior limited to just the Title field? The first Return in the Context, Start and Due fields completes a partial entry (e.g., "tod" becomes today's date). A second return in the same field does nothing at all. This inconsistent Return behavior seems like a usability trap/bug.

I'd like a complementary key to commit an edit in any field, including completing a partial Context or date value. From an earlier note, I discovered the Escape key does that. But it never occurred to be to try that because, to me, Escape has a strong association with Cancel, not commit.

From my first day of using OmniFocus, my right hand has been futilely hitting the Enter key to commit a change. That habit is STRONGLY set from applications (e.g., FileMaker) and from pushing the default button in a dialog box.

From time to time, I've considered using QuicKeys to have Enter do a commit. However, the Escape now seems to be the commit key for OmniFocus outlines. So binding Enter to Escape would now cancel dialogs. Sigh.

Please have Enter be the editing commit key.

[submitted as formal feedback]