View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozukira View Post
As it stands now, the iPhone app has all the functionality I need. I'm not looking for OG to reinvent my workflow or provide any functionality beyond the desktop version. That's why a universal version of the iPhone app would work well for me.
A universal version of the iPhone app doesn't provide all the functionality of the desktop version, and I think it unlikely that we'll see any version that fully matches the desktop. Even the smallest MacBook screen has more than 1/4 more screen real estate to work with compared to the iPad, the ability to use things like Applescript, unfettered access to the filesystem, a windowing system, faster processor, more memory, etc. Because of those limitations, it is reasonable to build some functionality that goes beyond what the desktop currently has to make up for limitations elsewhere. Remember also that Omni tends to work on one or the other of the OmniFocus versions at a time, rolling out some new features and then bringing them to the other platforms in their next release.
Quote:
However, as it stands now I'll have to spend more money to not have to look at an ugly version and deal with the frustration of OG setting expectations and not meeting them.
With some companies, the new gadget wouldn't even run the old gadget's software, so I'm not sure there's a real basis for complaining that you're going to have to spend money to get a native iPad app. Certainly it is possible that Omni could have decided to give you a free universal app, but that is their choice to make, and I don't understand a feeling of entitlement to one. If you bought a DVD of your favorite movie a couple of years ago, and then last week bought a new Blu-Ray player and HDTV, would you expect the movie studio to send you a new Blu-Ray disk of your movie? You can play the old DVD in the new player, and sure, it doesn't show off the device to its full potential, but you've still got everything you paid for, right? You're running OmniFocus (for iPhone), on your iPad, where it is much faster than on your iPhone (unless you've got an iPhone 4). You said it provides all the functionality you need when you run it on the iPhone. If you don't run it pixel-doubled, it looks and works as on the iPhone, except with a really big frame :) If you zoom in, it doesn't look as nice, just like that DVD doesn't look so nice smeared across a big high-resolution display.

What expectation was set about OmniFocus by Omni that isn't being met, other than the ship date?