View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Interesting idea...

I have a lot of projects with waiting for actions with a future start date.

Every day I go through my waiting for context with the available actions filter on. For actions that I need to push into the future, I change the start date so that it disappears from my waiting for context.

Monitoring my projects to make sure the start date matches the actions start seems like more work to make the software work.
The OF implementation of "stalled" seems to match what I see in the dictionary -- a project on which you cannot currently do anything to advance it toward completion. If you want to use different definitions than the designers had in mind, there might be some more friction involved. But you've got good scripting skills, and it seems like a script that fixed your project start dates to match the start date of the first action wouldn't be too much of a challenge, and would allow you to use the rest of the tools the way you want, no?

Quote:
I could change how I work with waiting for items, and never have a start date for the waiting for items.

My approach to using OF with GTD is to not show actions that I can do nothing about and processing buckets until they are empty (inboxes, contexts)

Every day I go through my available waiting for list, and process that list until it is empty. If a waiting for item needs more time, I move the start date into the future.
Instead of going with a script that scanned the entire database, like Curt's, perhaps the model to adapt would be something like the Defer script. See an action that needs to be postponed a bit, select it, fire your script and it takes care of adjusting the project start date for you while it does the same for the action.

Are you using the stalled filter in context mode or project mode? I only use it in project mode, when reviewing, and there it seems appropriate to show actions where I can do nothing. For actual execution of actions, it seems rather irrelevant!