View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjolly View Post
I agree here. I love the interface and overall look and feel of the iPad version, especially, and also the iPhone app as well. I wished the interface of Omnifocus for Mac could be change to look like the iPad app. The Mac version seems old and outdated compared to these newer iOS versions.
+1

The Mac version of OmniFocus feels like a visit to the dentist.

Sure, there are all these great keyboard shortcuts. Sure, once you invest the time all those drop down menus cluttering the window start to make sense. It's scary, because the interface is so busy. Twiddling the controls results in disaster too: I have managed to "delete" every task by accidentally setting a filter (I dropped a book on the keyboard/mouse, when I looked back to the screen, all my tasks were gone). After a while I realised that the tasks were still there on the iPad, so they must still be on the Mac, at which point I just started exploring the UI to figure out what the heck I had happened.

The iPad app is exceptionally well done. The Mac version just feels like I'm using Windows again. The typical "designed for Windows" feeling is when I start feeling threatened by the number of controls on the screen. I have the view bar hidden most of the time these days (the view bar being the black bar full of land mines that I prefer to avoid touching).

The biggest difference between the iPad and Mac apps now that I have the toolbar and view bar hidden is that the iPad version is full of friendly curves and white space. Other differences are the lack of "badge" numbers in the iPad context list, and the hierarchical context list that show up all the time on the Mac version versus the iPad "hidden hierarchy" where higher levels of the hierarchy are hidden "off screen to the left".

The iPad conveniently hides unnecessary clutter. I have contexts for things like the games I play. On the iPad version, if I have "Office" context selected, noone looking at my iPad can see the list of games. On the Mac version, all my games are visible. This causes my colleagues some consternation since they figure that if the name of a game is visible on screen, I am probably slacking off (but then, they're the ones shoulder surfing every 10 minutes … what are they doing with their time? not my problem).

So then I get to the point of hiding the context list altogether, and saving that window as a perspective: "Office friendly". It's now just a hierarchical to-do list :)

Oh, and another thing: I can't define a new context while entering tasks in a context view on the Mac version. Using Quick Entry I can define a new context, but while typing in the OmniFocus window I can only select from the list of already-defined contexts.

iPad version: soft, rounded, and friendly.

Mac version: harsh, sharp, cruel.

Apologies for the off-topic rant.