View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddbert View Post
Yo! We have no disagreement here. My points are not issues based upon value for money. My argument derives from issues of quality and performance.

.... But I’ll continue to maintain that this particular program is not super-class; it simply does not deserve the same accolades as OmniOutliner, OmniGraffle, OmniPlan and, even though it’s still in alpha, OmniFocus. To my mind, Camino is a better performer in virtually all the elements that define a world class browser, and it’s free to anyone who takes the trouble to download it. OmniWeb has failed, both in its breadth of features, and its performance, to persuade me otherwise. It's good enough to be a loss leader, an introduction to the OmniWay... but as for payment? Nah, in its current version, I don't think so.

... But OmniWeb is not good software - it’s mediocre software competing against very good free software. Am I wrong in demanding it should be better?

Best

Roy
We should always demand better of any product. Nothing wrong there. But are "mediocre" and "very good" purely objective terms as you understand or use them?

To my mind, much of our evaluation of software is based on personal needs and preferences, not some absolute, objective standard. That's not to deny qualitative differences either. Some software is rather lacking, to be sure.

For me personally, I need site preferences for work perusing sites in different languages. No other browser that offers some form of site preferences (ie SafariStand and FF plugins) matches what I like about OW's implementation of it. The other aspect which was, until the recent release of Safari 3B, unique and useful for me was zoomed text editing. Even though Safari 3 will offer this, I still prefer OW's implementation since the text field can expand beyond the size of the original browser window (especially useful for discussion forums, I've found, especially lengthy exchanges).

You probably do not need the features that for me make OW my browser of choice--despite some imperfections. But until you offer compelling arguments to the contrary, I don't think that OW can simply be categorized as "mediocre" when compared to other browsers.

Last edited by daiyi666@yahoo.com; 2007-08-12 at 12:12 PM..