View Single Post
The recent sync data post on the Omni blog said that about 20% of OmniFocus users using the Omni Sync Service use all 3 device types! About 33% of the users only use 1 device type. Of course, as outsiders, we don't have any idea of how many active OmniFocus users there might be that use other sync solutions, or don't sync at all. I don't know about you, but I'd be just as cranky to find out that my newly arranged data hadn't followed me to my other Mac as if it hadn't followed me to my iPad or iPhone. Syncing is an important part of the product, and I can't think of any real evidence to suggest that Omni would be willing to implement a feature which was effectively ignored by sync.

The difficulty is not just in writing the code (though there is some, to be sure). There is substantial difficulty in deploying changes to multiple interoperating products requiring extensive testing, documentation, etc. when you're a company that appears to have the resources to comfortably do only one at a time. Writing the user interface code here is not the tricky part!

Looking at it from a different angle: if we accept the proposition that this is an easy feature to do and it enjoys broad support, is there a rational explanation for why it hasn't been done yet that permits one any reason to hope that it ever will be? "This is a feature that needs to be deployed in a major release" hits that nail squarely on the head. "We can't figure out how to do it", "we don't think enough customers want that", "we don't think that has any place in our product" and other such constructions don't offer much hope of eventually seeing it. Do you prefer your requested feature in the future, or not at all? :-)