View Single Post
I found this thread by doing a search. OF is exceptionally useful to me. It would be even more useful to me if it supported multiple contexts.

The first couple of posts by the fellow at OF reflect two typical thinking errors, thinking that because something works for you it should work for others, and placing too much emphasis on thinking there is a "right" process. It's hilarious reading his analysis of why he doesn't think people need multiple contexts and how he will "help users resolve problems applying a single-context approach". The perfect example of a religious convert that thinks they've seen the light, and over minutia at that, and needs to help other people see it. Heck, he even thinks he's protecting some sacred values by not implementing it, and is willing to "lose out on sales", how admirable!

Different people process information in different ways, and a lot of people are going to find multiple contexts useful. Everything else is largely noise.

If we were talking about a business where it's sometimes crucial that everyone is following the same process, this might be a more important discussion. But OF is for individual users and here, the main questions should be:

1. Would giving people multiple contexts be useful to a lot of users (regardless of whether some people think they've found sacred productivity truth and know that single contexts are best).

2. Could it be implemented without making the software more complicated for users that don't need multiple contexts.

IMO the answer to both questions is yes.