View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
That's there to give iPhone/iPad users reliable notifications in iOS 3.x without relying on network connectivity, before the advent of the local notifications in iOS 4. For the purpose, it doesn't make sense to be exporting dates very far into the future—it just needs to cover a reasonable amount of time that you might be without connectivity. Writing the dates much farther into the future would just slow down syncing, especially when you don't have a speedy upload. The entire reminder file has to be rewritten on each sync where anything with a due date changes. Also, it doesn't give an accurate picture where repeating actions are concerned, because only the next one is shown.

The due reminders calendar currently goes out 2 weeks, not 1.
That makes some sense; it there a better way to get long-range visibility of deadlines in a calendar view? For example, I've got research proposal deadlines that are close to a year out, and when planning travel and other things, I need to be aware of them. Many of the constraints that I have to work around come in through calendars that I subscribe to, so a "calendar view" seems the most reasonable solution.

I could presumably write a script that would periodically walk OF to get things with my "deadline" context, and then generate an iCal from that (any chance such a script already exists?), but it sort of feels cobbled together. I abandoned Linux years ago because I was tired of trying to stitch tools together with bailing wire, and I'd like to avoid going back to that life style.