View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooce
If they're ALL next actions, then NONE of them are next actions.
This isn't quite right, though, for reasons others (MEP, LizPf) have articulated. The clearest counter-example to your assertion, though, is the following:

I may have 3 "available" actions (in OF parlance) in a project, each in a different context. Each one of those actions would be the "next" action for that project in its particular context.

So the current notion of "next" action in a parallel project seems like it will in fact hide the next action in that project that I could be doing in my current context, if it just so happens that the "next" action is assigned to a different context.

A lot of the current work-arounds discussed above require focusing on a project, which kind of breaks the GTD context model (i.e. what's the entire set of things I could be doing right now?).

Maybe "next" should mean something different in Project vs. Context view? In "Project" it might be the next available task (to your point), but in "Context" it might be the next available task (if any) in the selected context.

Maybe OF already behaves this way? I'm still anxiously awaiting entry into the alpha club.