View Single Post
tcoxb,

"Project" is the term that Allen uses for any desired outcome that requires more than one concrete, physical action. That's the sense in which OF projects are appropriately named.

Several of us have asked for support for arbitrary meta-data attached to actions in OF, along with UI support for entering/editing that data. Based on long-ago rumblings from the Omni folks, I anticipate that we'll have that eventually, but not in version 1.0.

I'm sorry that OF doesn't meet your needs as it stands. But it is most emphatically not just another application of lists. It's really a combination outliner and special purpose database. The context, view, and perspective features provide a very powerful way of querying outlines to focus on the precise subset of the data you need at the moment. The power of this metaphor will be multiplied when we have arbitrary meta-data, but it is really quite powerful already for personal task management.

You aren't going wrong by using OmniOutliner for your purposes. It is also an extremely powerful application. Hmm, I wonder if some of the view features of OF might eventually migrate back to OO...

Curt