Thread: Managing Lists
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
So I think I'm learning quickly that many people in the forums were previous OO users, or kGTD users, and have learned to accept various shortcomings of those tools for productivity / tasks management. I don't want to have to use OmniOutliner or a journaling program to organize my to do list, my projects, my goals in life, and someday/maybe items like DamonC mentions. I am hoping that the goal of OF will be to get over those shortcomings, and build an app that can provide "Personal productivity and peace of mind". ;)
I would phrase things another way: I prefer my tools to be lean. They should do one or a few things well, not several things badly. I don't see this as a shortcoming but as a strength. (Back in the day, mh was my preferred Unix email tool; it was not a single email program but rather a set of small programs for doing different things to email.) There's always Entourage for those who want the all-in-one email/calendar/task list/notebook application.

For managing projects and actions, OmniFocus is my tool of choice. For managing my calendar, iCal or Google Calendar. For keeping lists, OmniOutliner. For keeping research notes, DevonThink. For keeping other notes, Journler. For finding all this stuff, Spotlight or Spotlaser (except for DevonThink, to which Spotlight integration will be coming soon).

As it stands now, OmniFocus does a fine job, even in alpha, of managing context-based action lists, project lists, and someday/maybe lists. With folders, it can handle goals in life. I'd hate to see the release delayed by adding features for keeping project info and reference files that other applications handle much better. I'd also hate to see the GTD-specific features swamped in an attempt to make the application all things to all people, just as I hated seeing what happened to Microsoft Word after version 4. The current support for linking to external files, prettied up a bit, would suit me much better.