View Single Post
Thanks for your replies. I see your points, and I think we essentially just have very different ways of thinking about and using web browsers. Obviously it's a good thing that OmniWeb can accomodate different styles of use, and generally manages to satisfy some of the most demanding users -- even ones who demand entirely different things.

When I was 10 or 11, what started as a list of my own collection of Nintendo games quickly exploded into a list of every game publisher and all of the games they've published, the release date, and so on. A few years later, a similar list of my music collection went promptly down the same drain. In my mind, everything automatically becomes a database, and every database demands to be exhaustively complete. Thankfully, when I design and implement actual databases, I am much more reasonable about the tradeoffs between practicality and perfection.

But my point is, I am a collector and organizer by nature, and this makes me rather rigid in a lot of ways (certainly to a fault). As soon as I encounter the slightest flaw in any system I'm trying out, I am liable to dump it immediately and revert to my established methods, and that's what keeps happening when I run into some kind of gray area when trying to adopt workspaces. It's this same nature that insists that I bookmark and file everything I'll ever want to see again. A place for everything, and everything in its place.

Believe it or not, one of the biggest factors that influenced me to set up camp in OmniWeb as my main browser was the fact that it has bookmark separators. Seriously, that was one of the top 5 reasons I had to have it.

Part of me wonders if it would turn out to be an amazing and wonderful thing if I suddenly just let it all go, deleted all my bookmarks, and similar structures in other programs and information, and tossed it all to the wind. We'll see if that voice ever gets strong enough to overpower the insane nerd. Till then, it's one workspace and a massive library of bookmarks with a very serious librarian who never so much as cracks a smile.