View Single Post
Well for once I recommend using the "due date" option pretty carefully. As has been pointed out by many people, using it on everything you want to do on a specific date can easily let you lose overview over what absolutely has to be done until that date.

I experienced that it is very tempting to put a due date on something I wanted to get done on a certain date, kind of to sort it that way. That works fine until one day you have more things marked for a day than you can actually complete (also factoring in that there is always the unpredictable, unforeseen tasks popping up etc). Then you lose track and have to reassign due dates which will get you more confusion.

That being said I have made some custom perspectives that suit me well. For one I have a "work" perspective that holds all work projects and a "home" one that holds private stuff. Those are sorted so that flagged tasks and projects are on top. That way I can flag important projects (which also flags the tasks) and then recognise those as the things I need to work on first. After being done with that I work my way through everything else.

Your daily routine could be
-1. tasks/projects that have a due date today or in the near future (for those in the near future you need to predict how long you will need to get them done -> start early enough to actually finish the work needed on the due date). That requires that you really only "due date" such tasks/projects that absolutely have to be done by a fixed date, see above.

2. Work through your "flagged" lists to capture all those projects you deem more important than others. Again, do that after the "due" ones so you do not accidentally miss a due date and get into trouble.

3. If you still have time left, do other projects that you can actually work on (contexts are useful to sort here, like using the "phone" one when you can actually make some calls).

4. If you still have time left or just want to do something not related to "daily routine", check your "someday"-folder for projects of interest. I have such a folder in which I hold several projects like "things to buy", "things to read", "places to go" etc. That way I can capture all information in one place but don't have it in the way during my daily routine.

Perspectives are really useful for such things since they allow you to create views that show you exactly those tasks you can and want to work on. For example, I might have six important and due private projects today. Stil while at the office I can not good work on them (remotely hauling the garbage out would be practical though, no doubt) though so I use the "work" perspective. Wich shows me those tasks I am being paid for to work at. And so on. Did that make sense? English happens not to be my first language :p