View Single Post
This is baffling... on my two macs omniweb is unpredictable with respect to custom positions. I've confirmed this behavior on 5.6 and 5.7 beta 1 on Leopard. I tried deleting application support files and preferences but I still the same behavior.

Many users have reported that OW has problems with custom positions in Leopard. But it gets tricky. Here are some cases:

• If a window isn't maximized, OW consistently offsets the position 21 pixels from the menu bar regardless of my custom position:

• If I place a window on the right (almost touching the screen border) and I do a "save window size" OW opens new windows on the left!
However, if I place the window on the left but not too close to the edge of the screen (50px margin or so), it remembers the position fine BUT it still applies the 21 pixels offset from the menu bar. WTH?

• Taking a snapshot saves the position ONLY when you relaunch OW. So if I quit OW and relaunch it, it'll show my custom position fine. But if I close that window and make a new window, it won't show my custom position. This may be the intended behavior; I'm only pointing out that snapshots do not override default window positions and so they can't be used for that purpose.

While I'm at it, cascading doesn't work well either. OW cascades off ghost windows:
- Keep 1 minimized window in the dock and make 2-3 new windows.
- Then close them but still keep that 1 minimized window in the dock.
- Make more windows.
- You'll see them cascading off the non-existent windows.

The correct behavior is for windows to cascade off a existing window, whether it's minimized or not, but not from non-existing windows. Safari gets this right.

Another note: these position bugs are easier to see on large screens (ie not a macbook). On my macbook I rarely see the 21px bug because the window is almost always maximized because of small resolution. So some may not experience the bug because of this.

So these bugs definitely exist, and are annoying enough because they are not entirely predictable. And they aren't easy to point out. What I'm wondering is why... These things need to be identified and fixed immediately.

Last edited by migueld; 2008-03-19 at 07:40 PM..