View Single Post
Usertech, I kind of see what you're getting at with these last few examples, but my experience is that the automatic sorting options provide enough control for me. Manual sorting in more than one place (i.e., project and context rather than just project) would (for me) encourage task shuffling to get exactly the right order in lieu of just working on things. I take advantage of the fact that, if tasks are indistinguishable under the current sort scheme for context view, they revert to the order of projects. So by putting my folder of work projects before my folder of personal projects, work tasks show up before personal tasks (all else being equal).

Perhaps an example will clarify? One of the main views I work from I call 'Priority', someone else here described it as Important and/or Urgent, I don't remember the details. It's basically context view, group by flag, sort by due. I then select which contexts I'm currently working with in the sidebar to limit the tasks. This produces a list in four sections 1) flagged, with due date, ordered by due date; 2) flagged, no due date; 3) not flagged but due date set, ordered by due date; 4) not flagged, no due date. Usually 1-3 are small enough to fit on the first screen if I'm working on Mac, but 4 is huge and goes on and on. So I work roughly from the top, although overdue items almost always are my first target. If I catch up enough that group 4 is showing, I know that tasks for higher-ranked projects (top of project list) will come first. If something is down off the first screen, I probably don't need to think about it right now. If the list of important and/or urgent things is still too big, I'll make a decision about which project(s) I'm going to work on, focus down to those, and then go back to the working view. So as long as I'm using the review process to flag and add due dates appropriately, I can look at just one screen of tasks, roughly sorted by importance - they don't have to be in the exact order I'm going to do them.

For the errands...
Nested contexts for individual stores might be a good idea, particularly if they are frequently used and often there is more than one task/item at the same store. I don't tend to do this myself, though, as it doesn't fit my working style. I moved my grocery list out of OF because it became too cluttered for me; and aside from that my errand list tends to be small enough to just put the location details in the task description.

In addition, I think there are some serious interface issues to consider. Suppose I turn on manual sorting while I have Focus limited to just a few projects, and rearrange my tasks. What should happen when I switch back to displaying all projects again? Should all the formerly hidden tasks be at the bottom? What if they were at the top before? What if they were originally interspersed with the rearranged tasks? Sorry if you addressed this in the video, I haven't watched it yet.