View Single Post
The remaining problem is: what to do when nothing is selected (leaving out "selected but not visible") like this:

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

What happens when I hit ctrl+cmd+9 in this situation? It's Murphy's law in action.

At the moment I'm not aware of an application solving that issue in any way. But these applications unlike OF show nothing in the main view when nothing is selected in the sidebar, have a special root item for "everything" in the sidebar or don't allow to select nothing in the sidebar. That brings us to the question: do we need a sidebar with no item selected at all?

A visual clue I could think of would be a blueish halo around the active area when nothing is selected:

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
As for the collapse behavior of the disclosure triangles, I don't really have a problem with them. But then, I'd gotten used to them in OmniOutliner years before OmniFocus was even released. And usually, I navigate using the keyboard with right and left arrow of collapse/expand nodes. So maybe it's just a matter of familiarity.
The triangle itself is fine … but! ;)

I create a project and enter a name for it. After that most of the time I don't rename the project anymore but open and close it when reviewing and planing. But the triangle is really small and the rename function (clicking on the title) is huuuge. The function most in use gets the least screen estate and vice versa.

Related problem with Context, Folder, Due, … header rows: vast amount of space with no use at all, but to collapse or expand I have to target this tiny triangle instead of just a single click onto the row somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. But Matt Neuburg's fuss over them just doesn't seem like a real world issue. Who sits there toggling the triangle open and close over and over again (other than Matt Neuburg and us, that is)?
Hey, 10 sec a day for unnecessary complicated item toggling is 1 hour in your life this year you will never get back. Not to mention the endless hours on the internet spend talking about it. ;)

Last edited by Schlaefer; 2008-05-01 at 11:53 PM..