View Single Post
First, I would buy a OO for iPhone in a heart beat!

Your questions:

1) Do you need multiple columns of data, column types, or the column summary options?

Yes this is an important feature, though if it only worked in a simplified form, this would be fine.

2) Do you need formatting support? Or just plain text like OmniFocus for the iPhone.

It of course is nice to have formatting, but I also realize the display is limited in space. It would be nice if at least formatting was preserved when synchronizing. In other words, I dont lose any formatting on rows I have not edited with synchronized documents.

3) Do you need attachment support?

No

4) Should it be a viewer only, or have editing capabilities? If just a viewer only, how well does the Quick Look preview/DHTML export meet your needs? (Viewing the export on the iPhone that is)

Editing would be important. I think one comprimise might be to have an editing mode and a view mode. Maybe the view mode supports some of the formatting but the editing mode be simple text.

5) What kind of syncing expectations do you have? This would be one big reason why OmniOutliner 4 needs to be developed first as OO3 is not designed for merging synced changes.

Apple does not make this easy for you. It is sad every application has to reinvent the wheel. Frankly, I would be satisfied with simple file synchronization between the device and the desktop. Row by row is nice, but may be over kill.