View Single Post
I would put due dates on tasks/projects only if it is a "real" hard deadline. If there are consequences after a due date, that would be a hard deadline. If nothing happens after a due date has passed, that would not be a real or hard deadline.

If you decide to put due dates on many tasks, you will psychologically train yourself to ignore due dates when you have a long list of overdue tasks. I would refrain from using due dates unless really needed.

Examples of hard deadline:

Due Next Tuesday - buy anniversary gift for wife
Due Next Tuesday - Call/make reservations at wife's favorite romanic restuarant.

Serious consequences will occur if I don't complete these tasks by next Tuesday.

Examples of soft deadlines (not real or hard deadlines):

Wash car by Friday
Mow the lawn by Friday

No major consequences will occur if these tasks aren't finished.

Trying to manage too many soft deadlines will become mind-numbing. You'll learn to eventually ignore them. This negates the real value of using due dates only on tasks that should have them.

Many of my OmniFocus tasks or projects are things that I would like to record and keep track of. Many of my projects are automatically placed on "On Hold" status. This eliminates many tasks from being seen in context mode. I will set the status to "Active" when I have the desire to turn my attention towards projects for the next 7 days.

Active use of "On Hold" and "Active" status will help you keep focus on what you really want to get done.

I don't have the need to see everything. Just the things that I want to focus on in the next 7 days - items that have a real/hard deadline and the three Big Rocks of the Week (the 3 major projects I would like to make progress on in the next 7 days but have no real due date).