View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLady
Indeed, but I did specify in my example that I had the time to make any of those 3 calls.

Perhaps a more complicated example is in order. I'm a research technician. At the lab, I have, at any one moment, a minimum of 20 active projects. I also do not have the priviledge of setting my own priorities - my PI sets my priorities (and these can change hourly depending on his mood anyway). But my PI's priorities as a researcher differ from my own priorities as his lab manager. Part of my job is to make sure the lab will keep running, that the computers all continue to work, that we have enough supplies for experiments, etc. But this part of my job is essentially invisible to my PI, he notices if it isn't done, but only because it interferes in what his priorities for me are - that I assist the post docs and students in their research projects.

It is easy to remember and focus on what my priorities are. It's harder to focus on other people's priorities (especially when they change frequently), and this is where the ability to prioritize tasks and projects would be extremely helpful for me.
I think you just gave a perfect example why actually recording and managing priorities is a mistake. They are constantly changing, are too numerous and possibly blinding because of their complexity.

Your mind has the great ability to scan a small list (context) and pick from there what the biggest priority is.

BZ