View Single Post
I've accepted risk with my notes...

Although having access to someones notes can say a lot about a person and give a pretty good psyc profile, goals & actions is a persons core. My tolerance for risk goes way down with this.

If there was another note application that synced between my iPhone and desktop, offered robust searching, audio & picture taking, I would jump to it.

I've tinkered with using OmniFocus for my notes but, it doesn't offer the following:
• a place to store all my notes as notes (sometimes I have notes in projects and sometimes I just have notes).
• robust searching
• efficient viewing of notes

I would love to have all my notes in OmniFocus, especially with the reviewing feature that OF has! I've even suggested Evernote have a review feature but it fell onto barren ground.

I have my own work arounds in Evernote for creating an inbox (untagged searching), and reviewing based on a relative date modified (the reviewing is buggy).

Every day I go through untagged items in Evernote and delete, or place a tag on them. It's my note 'Inbox'.

One question to ask is... why do we even have "cloud" computing? In my mind is a silly buzz word.

Syncing has been around forever. I was syncing notes between my palm and mac desktop 10 years ago. Windows users have been doing it longer.

So why the emphasis on cloud computing?
Google

They didn't have desktop software, and started making web applications. Others jumped on the bandwagon.

It's easier for companies to develop cloud computing... i'm assuming... they can aggregate all the users data, and make fixes without rolling out updates; syncing is easier, but the main reason they love it, is centralized data.

They have access to all that data.

And all the fish follow... mostly because google is free. My main email account is google, because it's free, adds are non intrusive, and if I ever needed to cancel my email accounts due to budget issues, I wouldn't need to change my email address. But all email servers are alike, the companies who host can peruse the data, and emails are insecure.

But where does goggle make their money?

For a long time there has been a division of whether computers should be dumb terminals attached to a mainframe (where it all started) or individual machines. In fact, Apple's initial bet was that computers could be more than dumb terminals. Hence the name Personal Computer. And they were laughed at. And now there is the danger of returning to the dumb terminal attached to a cloud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8