View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tah View Post
<snicker> If I give you a set of 30 tasks. You are going to rank them by priority first, context second.
If you use "context" as GTD defines it, then you can only do the tasks that are appropriate in the current context. If I'm at the office, I won't do the "buy milk" now, even if in my wife's mind, that has top priority. You first look at context. Of the tasks presented for that context, then you do whatever one you want.

It's been a while since I read Allen, but his method is to take the "next" action for the current context and do it.

OF does provide a sort of priority, in the way of time. If I have 15 minutes left before leaving for home, then I can filter my next actions by time and do those that can be done.

I guess I've secretly wanted priorities incorporated in OF (I use flags), but I can see where if one relies primarily on priorities, then that isn't GTD. I can see having priorities appear when in one context and having filtered the actions by "energy" or time. For me, priority would be the last determinant, since the others (context, time, energy..) are absolute - you can't do a task if it doesn't satisfy any of these. However, when you filter down to this level, THEN priorities can help determine which task to do first.