View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
One reason that " timed " tasks and such aren't considered part of GTD is that [this is purely my opinion ] GTD has a big audience among people that have very busy calendars etc ..hence the " how much free time do I have " features .. Some people don't have lots of meetings and they are usually the ones that struggle with this part of GTD [I'm in that category ] So, no matter what tool I"ve used for GTD I've had to put together combos of applications [previously on windows and now on mac ] If you fall into this category [open calendar lots of available time ] you might have to do the same . Just my .02
I agree entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you saying that on next Tuesday, say, you might have 15 things to do? Are you sure your tasks can't roll forward from one day to the next if you can't do them now?
This is how I use OmniFocus, i'm not sure how its supposed to be used but this is how I use it:

I run a business and use it to basically keep a track of everything that needs doing. There is no one there giving me deadlines, so to me, dates are more like targets. I want to achieve something by a particular date. If a customer complains that a product is broken I don't have to sort it out immediately but obviously I will set out to do so.

Some things don't really need to be done until next week (cashflows, print out invoices etc), some things need to be done immediately (customer complaints, enquiries, etc), some things are just ideas that I want to look into in a few months.

I have loads of different things going off, OmniFocus helps me to do all of these different things so I no longer have to focus on one project at a time.

The problem I have is this. In a particular day, I might have lots to d. I want to be able to see how much I have to do before I set a target date to achieve something. Without any way to see how much I've already set out to do I might be setting unrealistic targets.

I think the problem with these programs is that not everyone is the same. When adding something you may make it better for some, but but also make it worse for some. Omni have done a good job to get the program this far, I think its fantastic.