View Single Post
Some of us point out workarounds to help the people who feel they need such functionality, you know, actually get stuff done while they wait for this feature to be implemented! More than a few requestors of this feature are new to the product, probably also new to Omni and thus may not realize that a feature request is usually not fulfilled as quickly as one might wish. If you have a genuine need for some functionality, most would agree that means you need it now — I've yet to see someone say that they'll need more repeat options in 6 months, but are fine with the current ones for now!

We could endlessly debate Omni's original decision not to put in the richer repeat options initially. My take is that they probably made the right choice in terms of functionality, and anything that went into FCS was probably of more value to more customers than custom repeats. Which core feature would have been better to omit so that custom repeats could have been there for 1.0 instead? It is easier for someone building a new product to deliver yet another feature that seems like they need to have because everyone else has it than to figure out what is really most needed (take the brilliant implementation of reviews, for example). Thankfully, the guy steering Apple over the last decade wasn't like that!

Arguments along the lines of "even this low-budget app has custom repeats, why doesn't OmniFocus?" are silly, I think. If that other app is cheaper and does what you need, why are you using OmniFocus? The other app doesn't have some important feature that OmniFocus has? That feature is more important to you than custom repeats, you say? Hmm...perhaps Omni did do a better job of choosing which features to implement...

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-10-19 at 05:52 AM..