View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyprint View Post
... I've been experimenting with OmniFocus and Things, and have questions about if / how I can make OmniFocus work for me.
Welcome! The forum has lots of discussion posts from folks who have switched from Things. They may provide a further starting point for collecting information.

Quote:
-My biggest sticking point with OmniFocus is it's inability to assign a value to an item in the way that Things allows one to determine if a task his a high, medium or low priority.
This is a design difference based on the philosophy of how the tool is to be used. Priorities on tasks are not part of the OF approach because they are not really supposed to be part of a "true" GTD method. Suggestions are continually being posted on the forum on how to incorporate them in to OF, in addition to requests to include them in OF. In the meantime, with OF, you will either have to change your approach to scheduling based on priorities or make yourself comfortable with one of the alternative methods.

Quote:
-I have a general understanding of Contexts, but I don't understand why OmniFocus only allows a task to have one Context.
Again, this is a design choice in OF based on the philosophy of implementation, and a large number of postings are here requesting changes or suggesting alternative ways to handle it. My approach is to consider as a start that a single Context for a task can be set by answering the question: "I absolutely cannot complete this task without being HERE", where HERE is either a location or a frame of mind. Outside of this question, all other "contexts" are supplemental. For example, I carry my cell phone with me all the time, so I have no need for a "cell phone" context (because needing a cell to do a task is not a restrictive issue).

Quote:
... I'd be assigning an arbitrary date for most of my tasks, so...I'm not sure that would be helpful.
The general consensus is, DUE dates should be assigned when they are defined by a deadline external to the task. They are not assigned based on when one "wants" to do the task. Start dates are assigned with a bit more flexibility by comparison.

Quote:
-I've read how everyone is wild about the syncing between OmniFocus for Mac and the iPhone and iPad. But what does one do when traveling and doesn't have access to a wireless network? (I often travel in such places.) Is there any way to do this via iTunes?
I sync exclusively via WiFi locally between my iPod and Mac. You can set up your Mac to be a WiFi domain, and then set up your iPhone/iPad to sync to that domain.

Quote:
-... Is there a similar function in OmniFocus in terms of collecting notes related to particular tasks?
In OF, you can view your Completed tasks / projects to get an equivalent set of information. The Archive feature of OF also allows you to put your completed tasks/projects in storage.

Hope this gives you some useful feedback.

--
JJW