View Single Post
Hi Francesco–

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

So, for me personally not separating work/home works very well. That was actually one of the first insights I gained from reading David Allen. I get your point about separation of the doing, but contexts work well for me in this respect. I see how it could be different for someone else, though.

I like your notion of tags providing "horizontal categorization". However, what I've been trying to implement in the past few weeks which has been very successful so far has been to think about what title I really wanted to give a note or a file in Evernote or NotationalVelocity/SimpleNote. This works better for me, because I tended to create unnecessarily specific tags, and end up with a plethora of tags that didn't help me organize anything at all. Working with the titles gives me an analog to my physical filing system, where I have an alpha index (folders) and then "tag" or "title" each document in the folder with a typed label. Using search in the electronic format helps bridge any gap, but so far there hasn't really been any (mirroring my system across all software pieces has been very effective in this respect, however much resistance I initially felt about having lots of folders for projects in Evernote).

I'm a gadget freak so I've toyed with DevonThink in the past and your post tempts me to play with it again, but I think I'll refrain from it as I'm finding that the current solutions include perfect portability of all the stuff I need across iPad/iPhone on top of Mac, which is a true requirement for me now (I've essentially decided not to buy any software that doesn't have an iOS counterpart).

I'm always off-topic on forums, so I couldn't answer your last question ;-)

Take care,