View Single Post
As I said elsewhere, I also like re-naming the two views Planning and Working.

Canonical GTD has us using our system to "empty our heads". Once I enter an action into OF, I feel free to forget about it completely until it shows up again in its proper place. [Inbox for things I need to plan more, on the proper Due Day, during a Review, etc.] If an item drops off the list of places in OF that I will look at, it's as if the item was completely forgotten.

An Unassigned context would at least contain these lost actions, so I could add "look at Unassigned Context" to my Weekly Review.

I think a lot of this debate is showing that there are two grops of people using OF:

- those whose work is primarily project oriented, so every action fits into a hierarchy of Folder --> Project --> (action group) --> Action. Everything in planned, pigeonholed, and neatly sorted. Things that aren't fully planned stay in the InBox.

- some of us (me) have much fuzzier lives. Some things can be fully planned, but others are very fuzzy and will stay that way. We're not likely to spend 20 minutes developing a project hierarchy for all our tasks, so we end up with a lot of singletons, actions without contexts, actions without projects, etc. Someone in the first group would run screaming if s/he looked at the database of a second group member!
[This is why GTD software that forces the InBox --> planning --> work list flow don't work for me. I'd rather throw the action approximately where it belongs the first time and trust my subconscious to finish the planning. OmniFu lets me use my messy methods.]

OmniFu has to work for both types of people. There need to be features that let Group 1 members work effectively, and other features that make sure the Group 2 members can work at all! And all of us need to be able to ignore the features that don't fit our styles.

--Liz