View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by isam
I agree.. I would expect it to happen automatically .. at least if not immediately (as Craig mentioned one might want to change certain info related to it) to do it a short period after it looses focus.. or when "inbox" looses focus ..

Related to it, is entering tasks using the quick entry .. I did set the project and the context, but still it moves to the inbox instead of the selected project and context.. I think it should go to it directly, as it is an already "processed" item and no need to "process it" again to put it in a project or a task list..
I prefer the current behavior on both counts. I like manually signalling that the item should leave the inbox. Suppose I'm only partly finished processing an item and decide to go digging through another project to find a due date. Maybe I remember that the paper is due the Friday before my niece's birthday, and I want to check my Get Gift project to remember when her birthday is. I'll be upset if the item is gone from my inbox when I come back to it.

Similarly, I might quick-enter a project and a context, but no due date. I want to manually process that item during my inbox processing. I don't want to have to get every detail correct during quick-entry. Otherwise my mind isn't "like water"; I have to interupt my doing to think about the item.

Also, I often just enter a context for a quick-entered item, but no project. I'll assign the project, and the item's place within the project, during processing. But OF currently treats items with a context and no project as singletons. So with auto-dumping of the inbox, this item would be lost to subsequent processing.

That said, some improvements to inbox processing definitely could be made. I think the name "Clean Up" is a poor one. "File" might be marginally better, though it typically connotes a noun not a verb in computer programs and might be confusing. Another option: "Clear Inbox" with a tool tip reading "Clear processed items from the inbox". I would also like to be able to Clean Up individual inbox items instead of the whole thing at once.

Curt