Thread: memory leaks
View Single Post
I must admit memory management in mac os x is not the subject I got deep knowledge of. I agree that unless you have no free/inactive memory left, it's not a real problem.

IMO, problem is that craftly designed websites can exploit this feature of OmniWeb and make your box crawl. Since I've only got 1Gb ram on my g4 1.42Ghz, it's rather problematic once in awhile. I did noticed small increase in ram usage by OW while box was idling. Nothing spectacular, just few Mb on top of couple of hundreds. I would disable url's from third sites to limit ram usage even more, but Wiki is one of my favs and uses this option alot for images.

I did read all links posted but could not find any indications on why this problem persists. Not to imply anything, but developers were aware of it for long time.

I think it's quite reasonable to compare OW to Safari due to similar underlying engine and optimization for mac os x. I might accept higher ram usage by OW vs. Safari, but it's hard to justify when this difference is more than 100%. Argument 'it's only few websites causing such problem' looks like a poor excuse to me.