View Single Post
How were you attaching your files? I think it is very easy to accidentally create a link instead of embedding the file, but rather unlikely that OF just randomly makes a link instead of embedding. My past experience doing computer support showed me that even very smart people are often not truly aware of what they are doing when it involves a frequent action, and furthermore, they get quite angry when you produce a log file that proves it :-)

That said, I agree that putting many megabytes of attachments in your OF database is not the route to happiness (this said as someone who has many megabytes of attachments in his database!) A little work with the Finder says that I've got 15 MB of attachments, 670 in all, though many of them are undoubtedly graphics from clipped email messages.

I've recently discovered that I can put documents in my DevonThink database, embed a link to that document in OmniFocus, and wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, the link even works on my iPad and iPod Touch with the DevonThink To Go iOS app, even if I refile the document into a different database after creating the link. The syncing of DevonThink To Go isn't automatic, but I can search my sheaf of documents by name and contents. I've been slowly migrating my larger embedded files over to DTTG to try this system out. My primary OF usage is on my iMac and iPads; I haven't investigated how I would go about syncing a collection of DevonThink databases to another Mac, and lack of a good answer there might well be an issue for someone using multiple Macs (though maybe the answer is that you just park the DevonThink databases in Dropbox).