View Single Post
This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me hope that OF will someday have tags.

In the meantime I use two things to help focus on what I want to do during the week or on a particular day.

If you're not using tagging for anything else, an easy way to mark this week's active projects is to tag the projects in question.

Again if you're not using it already, duration can be "misused" to tag projects and tasks. Duration actually gives you the possibility of creating quite a large number of "tags". You could just use a single duration value, say "1m", to mark the projects you want to work on today. Or you could use all of the numbers from 1 to 9 for different kinds of tags. Or you can
use the 10's, 20', etc. for different purposes. With duration you have further filtering possibilities: under 5 minutes, under 10 minutes, etc.

You can filter based on flag state and/or duration. You can also create perspectives based on this filtering.

With some imagination you can really get a lot of different tagging possibilities to work nicely using duration, especially in combination with flagging. For example, you can categorize your projects as follows:

10m - Now - projects in the front of my head right now
20m - Soon - projects I want to get serious about next
30m - Later - projects that will definitely see their day sometime
40m - Maybe/Some day - ideas, possibilities, keep track of it so I don't lose it

During your weekly review you can confirm that 10m accurately reflects what's going on right now. You can shift things back to 20m if you like, or "activate" things from 20m to 10m. Every once in a while when 10m and 20m thin out, you can see if you are interested in promoting 30m or even 40m projects to a current status. This strategy decreases the size of the lists in each category, making it easier for me to have a good overview during weekly review. (I have way too many total projects so I really need a way to keep an overview.)

At the beginning of the day or week you can filter for 10m and then flag the subset of projects you want to sit down and work on today or this week.