View Single Post
I've just perused endoftheQ complaints and must say I agree with many of them -- although, still, I did buy the whole lineup. Except, I also bought OmniDazzle for Mac, waiting to ask for that $15 credit when it went free against my next purchase from Omni; I wanted to buy OmniGraffle for Mac, but Brian claimed too much time has passed and they have no mechanism to refund -- lame, I passed on the OG/Mac and will keep passing on principle until the said mechanism is developed.

The marketing strategy of Omni works on the Mac, and it works on the existing customer base. The forums here are amazing -- compare it with Things, for instance, half-clueless, helpless to a point of despair.

Still, despite of the thriving community, Omni does not do much to actually implement the things people are asking for, such as tags. If you don't like tags, don't use them; now tags are what pulling many folks to Things. Sync services is another example. In any case, the premium prices work since the community is here and is able and willing to buy the next thing. There's an inertia which carries over to iPad right now. But the dominance of iPad creates a new reality. So what will happen is, once the core buyers here will complete their lineups, the prices will go down to compete with the all-new iPad crowd.

And my experience with the tight-fistedness over refunding or crediting or in any way acknowledging the fact that a long-paying customer deserves something for an app he bought which went free does not bode well for any refunds or credits when the price does go down. The fact that there're defenders of the high prices here, crying "hit me harder!" -- is admirable, we understand long-term service we get from Omni; yet a lot of it is this very community, and sync and tags still have to materialize! I am one of those folks who does pay every time, hoping for the better, and we do get the products. The question is, what the larger world of iPad will do.

The main value of Omni products is in fact this community. Omni will do better to accommodate it better, including coupons, features, etc.

Last edited by braver; 2010-08-18 at 12:42 PM..