View Single Post
The other significant issue that comes to my mind is upgrade pricing. At least for now, Apple forces all iOS updates to an app to be free so the only options for a developer to charge for an update are to make it an in-app purchase for iOS (which is an extra hassle for a developer) or make a brand new app that users need to pay the full price for if they want the new version. From the news I've read, Apple is not allowing in-app purchases (at least initially) for Mac apps.

So the trade-off is you may pay more to update to new versions to get the flexibility that your wife could use it also (without purchasing a second license). In the long run, that might be a wash if you want to update to new versions.

The other potential downside is that if an app store version gets out that has a signficant bug, you have to wait for OmniGroup to fix it AND for Apple to approve it, while if you purchased it directly from OmniGroup, you can get the update as soon as OmniGroup finishes the update. What I would do if I were OmniGroup is release new versions to direct purchasers first so you can catch those bugs before submitting it to Apple.

Given that OmniGroup is fairly generous with their licensing (letting me run the app on multiple Macs I use), I'm almost certain I'll continue to buy directly from them. I'm willing to pay for a second license if my wife also wanted to use the software (which to this point she hasn't). If Apple allows developers to charge upgrade prices, that might change my mind.

Last edited by dave256; 2010-12-30 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: fixed typo and clarified discussing current iOS policy