View Single Post
I ran into this issue today as well. (It's strange that brab and I both ran into this issue on the same day. Is it because something has changed in a recent version, or just coincidence?)

I'd like to have the ability to duplicate a task anywhere. My problem is that in addition to the Contexts view, I have a couple of handy perspectives that are based on the Contexts view, so I can't duplicate a task there either.

To curt.clifton's first point, OF does let you add actions in context mode. Initially, the project is whatever is set in the preferences as "default list for single actions". In fact, if you're in a view where the context isn't explicit, it will drop the new task into the "No context" box. It seems obvious that if the task is duplicated, it would belong to the same context and project initially until it was edited.

To curt.clifton's second point (sequential projects) the new task should appear wherever you dropped it until you click to another view or click "Clean up" just like lots of similar situations. For example, if you're in the "Flagged" perspective (which is a context mode perspective) if you click "Add Action" your new task will appear despite the fact that it isn't flagged. Even if you start editing other tasks, the item will not disappear until you click "clean up" or move to another perspective.

So I definitely see this as a bug, or at least something that could be more intuitive.

And if I could just hijack this topic a bit, I'd like to make a feature request: There ought to be other ways of duplicating tasks. I'd like it if you held down the option key the check box would change to a small check-plus icon. Click it, and the original task is checked and a new duplicate task is created. (Not a recurring task, but as you complete it, you realize that you have to do it again next week. For example, a follow up phone call.) Also, perhaps dragging a task and dropping it on the Add Action icon in the toolbar could create a duplicate.