View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB View Post
(Sorry for being so boring, I'm only saying what most other people will say about Omnifocus and GTD)
Well said, BevvyB. :-)

I'll add that the Omni Group is supposedly planning to add smart folders in a future version (possibly 2.0). It's not clear if these will be in addition to perspectives or replace them entirely. It seems like each has its advantages and disadvantages, so we'll see what develops.

For my system, I pretty much do the same thing as BevvyB: flagging items as "important" but still working from my main outline most of the time depending on what context I'm in. Using the view bar filters for "available" and "next" actions are the key to narrowing down the huge list of projects and actions to a more manageable level. To use OmniFocus to its fullest potential, you really need to master perspectives and the view bar.

My flagged "important" items aren't really a "today" list though, since I won't necessarily get to all of them today. It's more of a "hey, take care of these actions in the next few days or so if you can" kind of list. When I'm doing my daily review (OF's review date field prevents you from having to review your entire database everyday -- instead, just review the items that come up for review that day), I flag or unflag items as my interest, priority, time, energy, etc. change.

One thing you may find missing in OmniFocus when coming from Things is the ability to manually sort your list of flagged items in context view. You have some control over this by the order of items in planning mode and the order of contexts appearing in your sidebar in context mode, but for the most part, sorting of flagged items in context mode is controlled by the view bar filters. This may be confusing at first but really provides some powerful options once you get comfortable with it.

Having said that, however, it still might be nice if the view bar allowed one more sorting options: a user-defined manual sort order. That would likely satisfy people coming from Things. I believe there was some discussion of this on the forum in the past. I don't recall the outcome, but you could always send in a feature request directly to the Omni Group (Help -> Send Feedback from within OmniFocus).

-Dennis