View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psidnell View Post
The dogmatic position that calendars are evil is unhelpful. Even if it's true, everyone around me forces me to commit my activities to them and share plans via them.
I understand your frustration, but I don't think anyone has asserted that calendars are evil. :-)

I can see how the brevity of the initial responses could give you that impression, but I'm positive that wasn't the posters' intentions. I guarantee their thinking was that it was better to point you at a solution that existed today than it was to just say "can't do that, maybe someday". In this case, that solution involved a different product.

There is a lot of overlap between the things that OmniFocus tracks and the things that a calendar track, but the overlap isn't complete. Paraphrasing this post, tracking a meeting from 3-4 PM tomorrow in OmniFocus probably isn't ideal. Tracking "I need to do my taxes between January 1st and April 15th" on your calendar also isn't ideal.

As you can see from that post, we've been thinking about what to do here for a while, and we'll continue to do so. Requests along these lines are pretty common, but they're also pretty idiosyncratic - folks' preferred methods don't line up exactly.

That makes finding the ideal solution harder, but Forecast view is one effort we're making to help folks manage this and be more productive. It's currently iOS-only, but it'll be coming to the Mac. (I don't know when it'll be ready, but it is coming.)