View Single Post
Okay, I have to add my two cents here. I believe this is the very first time I have participated in an OmniGroup forum. Please be gentile in your responses.

I haven't checked this forum in a pretty good while, mainly because I'd just about given up on OmniGroup ever implementing the very same context mode sorting in OmniFocus that usertech and others have so patiently asked for. When I got wind of an upcoming new version of OF, I hoped against hope that it would incorporate context sorting and other features related to sorting in general. Based on a cursory check of this thread, it doesn't look like that will happen in version 2 of OF, if ever. I think I am now ready to abandon OF entirely, because I, for one, am tired of wasting anymore time on this software. Looks like context mode sorting ain't gonna happen in OF. Can't get there from here.

For anyone who's curious, here's the meat of my two emails to OmniGroup on this subject starting on 15 Dec 2012:

1) "Not sure if this is the best method to bring a request to your attention, but here goes. *I think Omnifocus (for desktop and iphone) has a lot of value, but it has one major shortcoming that I would like you to address and to fix. *As best as I can determine, the latest version of Omnifocus (as noted in the subject line above) provides the user no capability for sorting action items within context mode. *The need for this capability should be obvious. *In fact, I*have noticed that this lack of context mode sorting has been pointed out by others in your forums on more than one occasion. *Even so,*I can provide specifics on why there is a need for this capability at a later time, if requested. *Omnifocus is severely crippled without context mode sorting.

At the very least, please provide context mode sorting that matches the project mode sorting that already exists. *Even better, all of your sorting should be refined to allow for manual sorting (while continuing to use drag-and-drop as in project mode) with the option to save and restore any given manual sort. *Furthermore, you should add the option for both ascending and descending action item sorts in both project mode and context mode.

Having had some experience with other task management software, I believe that the sorting capabilities requested above would place Omnifocus head and shoulders above all of other task management software of which I am aware. *Therefore, I believe it would be in your own self interest, as well as that of your customers, to pursue this as a top priority."

2) "Your email response looks suspiciously like it came from a template. *Is anybody taking this seriously? *The need for better sorting capability was first brought up in your Omnifocus forum several years ago. *How high a priority has been given to this request up to this point? *I have all but abandoned OF because of this issue, and I'm now ready to ditch it and jump onto any other task management software that is the first to include this capability. *Perhaps another software developer will pay more attention to this need. *The OmniGroup can only rest on its laurels for so long."