View Single Post
I run a successful small internet business from my laptop. I'm currently looking for the core software to help manage the overwhelming things and projects I have to do. I really need help, there's too much for me to handle and I can't take it anymore.

I really like the philosophy of GTD and am implementing such a system. Omnifocus looks like an excellent, tight program. But context is not useful to me since the vast majority of things I have to do are all managed from my laptop, and I have access to it just about 24/7. My contexts would be something like @Mac and @Errands most of the time. That's about it. But Omnifocus makes context so integral to its system that it is just rather silly and contrived for someone like myself. And David Allen himself doesn't require you follow every aspect of his system religiously if it doesn't suit your workflow.

Ah, tags would be so nice to be able to use instead. So powerful and flexible. I don't think that GTD is anti-tags, it's just that tags is basically a new technology that wasn't widespread when the system was originally created in the somewhat more pre-digital era of 2002 (that statement would sure sound funny to someone in the year 2002).

So this obviously gives a nice advantage to Things. Also, Things has a more intuitive interface, at least that's how it appears to someone on this side of the learning curve.

But Things has major problems. Their synching situation is horrible; it has dragged on for an amazing amount of time and they still haven't fixed the problem. And even if that was the only problem they had, it shows me that that company is not a reliable partner going in to the future. The team behind OF is clearly better and more responsive. And it seems that OF generally has everything Things has and more in terms of features. Further, it seems that OF is much better than Things in terms of organizing projects, which is a key thing I'm doing.

So I'm heavily leaning towards OF. But again, the OF heavy use of context given my situation just seems silly, like I'm having to force a square plug in to a round hole. I was considering doing everything with a mind mapping program (Novamind is great) but I saw that, while it could basically handle task management in addition to things like brainstorming, it couldn't compare as a task management interface. That was really using the wrong tool for the job, but I still have some of that feeling with OF and its context-heavy system.

Oh, please help me out here.

Last edited by Danworld; 2011-08-27 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Tried to change title to include The Hit List